“Fuck you muthafucka, you ain’t shit, and you never gonna be shit!” This was going to be the last time he hurt me. It was just days before he had sent me 3 fragrant red roses to my job. Included with those sentiments of love was a card that said these were to represent our eternity. That was the sweetest thing that I have ever known, until this final lie. Our weekend together was supposed to be simple, just a weekend in Detroit. We were not going to spend the whole time together just me with some friends from college while he was on the opposite side of the city with his parents. Our drive was going to be our time together, perhaps talking about his pending divorce, and what we would want our future to look like. Simple plans, sex talk along the way perhaps a detour or a stop that would make a 2-hour ride more like 3½. None of that happened because communication got screwed, and he left without me. It was only a matter of minutes from when we were supposed to leave; so he couldn’t have been outside the city’s limits. I asked him to come back to get me, since due to our work schedules we haven’t seen much of each other in weeks. He told me he was midway between the two destinations and unless he was doing a mach 5 down the highly patrolled I-94 corridor, he was undoubtedly lying.
This lie was unnecessary. It wasn’t until later I figured out what he had to hide. All I could comprehend at the moment was that he was the first to tell me he loved me, and I was a fool to believe him. I was caught up, he blindsided me with his attention. It was supposed to be a relationship that I had not experienced since the last time I laid eyes on my god-brother. He was there for me, advising me about this college life that appeared as if he had mastered. He was the one that made sure I got back to the dorm safe, after a night at the gym parties. He was the one that picked me up when I was stranded at the mall, or just didn’t want to ride the metro. He was Johnny-on-the- spot, when it came to moving from the dorm to my very first apartment. He told me he was getting married and I was elated for him. He told me that he and his wife was expecting a daughter and I was to be the Godmother. I was overjoyed. Four months after the birth of my brand new goddaughter, he told me first he was leaving his wife. I talked him out of it, until he did it on his own six months later. He was in a situation that he didn’t want to be in, I empathized with him. In the beginning he was my friend, in the middle he became my lover, now he’s any other trifling, lying, son-of-a-bitch.
This was silly, the way this was ending. I didn’t want it to end. I had to keep my sanity so I had to keep him. The panic attacks scared the hell outta me, cause at the time I didn’t know what was happening to me. I knew it was silly and I had to apologize for the words that I spoke to him. I came back from that initial anger and realized that a lady shouldn’t speak like that, not when it was aimed at the one she loved. Those words were not meant for the one that she compromised her body, her morals, and her faith. “Don’t call, don’t come over.” He said to me as if I were to obey. They were the words that he said to me with his other red headed lover at his side. She is same one that he fled the city and traveled 9 hours across the country to be with her family. I knew about her, the same way his wife knew about me. He told the same lies to her that he told to me, that he told to his wife. Payback, thy name is bitch.
Lesson learned in my twenties were that you could never make a man love you, no matter how hard you try. So many mistakes were made, so many empty promises. It was never a commitment, just promises. It was a turning point that molded me into the woman that I am today. I don’t think I can trust that way again, there were too many lies to try to sort out. It took a while to get him out of my system, so many tears. Tears that I shed while I was alone because after a while, the same people don’t want to hear any longer. I see the scab, and realize on this anniversary, I’m still grieving.
Thursday, May 10, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
WOW. Dag, girl...I'm really sorry you had to hurt like that. "Love Isn't Love, It Just IS" (something I wrote a couple years ago during my hurt)
It's crazy how things start off one way then take a drastic turn... and all we can do is wonder, WHEN AND WHY? When is probably somewhere within the first couple of weeks of intimacy...even the intimacy of thought...and Why is just because...lol. Amazing, just because it wasn't meant to be and it's for that very reason the hurt begins to subside. I HATE prolonged pain...I hate to see the lingering effects it has on lives, but the TOTAL HEALING has been in effect for you and I'm glad. Please Continue to be blessed
Oh...I too had somewhat of an anniversary this week...lol, if you want to call it that. The 1 man who broke my heart (by marring someone other then me) sent me an email (it's been about 5 years since we've broken up and I think he's been married for 2). Well he sent an email saying he needed to talk to me...he had so much he needed to get off his chest and just needs to talk to me. I've not talked to him yet, but I replyed to his email with 'hello, what's the matter'. LOL, He knows me... hates the fact that he KNOWS I REFUSE to hate him...that I'm move on long past him and there's no pain. He knows his words will be listened to and accepted and even appreciated and he can't STAND that...becasue he's a Gemini...LOL. (kidding, but still). I actually look forward to hearing what he could think to say to me.
this same man that Im referring to in this post did the same thing years later after we last spoke. He went on to marry the red headed girl that was on his arm that day I wanted to apologise. The only thing he could tell me is that he apologise for hurting me. I listened to him apologise to me about the way things went down. All in all he just wanted to clear his conscience.
Wow, that was deep. The pain will go away, when you release it.
Yeah Sheletha, i was feeling this...do we ever really forget the one who hurt us, or the pain...no...we don't, but we do move on. Excellent post!
i got a big hug for you my sistah...
huggggggggg
excellent post and thanks for revealing yet another reason why I love ya...
all i can say is you're marvelous and i'm glad to be acquainted with you, sheletha.
er thanks clyde...
Wow! Initially, I thought this was a fiction peice that u are working on, Sheletha. Wow...I do wish we ALL didn't have to go through such emotional muck & mire..U seem to be FABULOUS regardless!
Oh, and thanx for the addition to your new family list...I'm honored to be considered The Deep One...wow...
My sistah, my sistah, my sistah. I will only say that just as you knew that certain language was not to be used by a lady -- a lady always knows when to leave.
Lesson learned? Let's hope, but I have always believed and taught each of my children that don't think you are immune from the treatment that someone has handed to another.
Love you, baby girl. You are beautiful!
Post a Comment