Thursday, April 19, 2007

My Cousin The Alderman

CONGRATS TO MY 1ST & FAVORITE COUSIN
TONI FOULKES
15TH WARD ALDERMAN, CHICAGO IL. !!!!!!!

I didnt like the picture that was posted, so Im not going to use it.


Foulkes slices big victory in 15th
by Kalari GirtleyApril 18, 2007
After a long tough race, Toni Foulkes moved to a clean victory in the aldermadic election for the 15th Ward. Foulkes, 43, beat Felicia Simmons-Stovall, 41, who is an attorney and employee of the secretary of state, by capturing more than 60 percent of the votes. Foulkes, a Jewel baker, will take office for the first time. Foulkes ended the evening with a decisive 948-vote victory - 2,790 to 1,842. "This is a victory for working families," Foulkes said. "My vision for the ward is to bring it back to how beautiful it was when I was a little girl." Foulkes first line of business will be to attack the high crime rate in the ward. At Foulkes' celebration about 100 supporters applauded when Foulkes entered the room. John Knighton, volunteer for the Foulkes camp, said he feels motivated and happy with the turnout. "We got the message across, Toni is really a beautiful person," Knighton, 44, said. Down the street at Simmons-Stovall's camp the mood was somber. "I am a little disappointed, but I had fun doing the campaign," Simmons-Stovall said. "I met a lot of wonderful people, and I got people interested in a community that they were not interested in at first." Despite losing, many of Simmons-Stovall supporters felt that they had put their best foot forward and remain loyal to Simmons-Stovall. Kenneth Burks said he has been with Simmons-Stovall since the beginning. "She is a very honest person, she is for the community and change," Burks, 43, said. Foulkes will now have to face many issues in the community that range from vacant houses, low employment, high crime, schools that are in poor condition and economic development in the 15th Ward Foulkes, an activist with ACORN (Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now), whose campaign received more than $340,000 from the unions, grew up in the ward. Simmons-Stovall, product of the Robert Taylor Homes, has been an attorney for 10 years. She moved to the 15th Ward in the 1970s. Both candidates survived the general election that had 11 competitors running for Alderman Ted Thomas' seat. Thomas, who served two terms, was retiring due to health reasons. In February's election, Foulkes captured 33 percent of the votes while Simmons-Stovall received 26 percent.

8 comments:

CapCity said...

Wow! Congrats! Can I get the hook up when i visit Chi-town? LOL!

JustMeWriting said...

that's wonderful...big ups to your cousin...when's the party? Dag, I just left Chicago...lol.

Lance said...

congrats, congrats...i hope she'll receive the support of her opponent, community as well as the city to help turn things around.

Anonymous said...

Kudos cuzin Toni!

Unknown said...

Congratulations for your cousin. That is truly a wonderful thing. We need powerful nubian brothers and sisters in all aspects of the political structure. First, your cousin.

Next? Obama?

peace, Villager

Melanoma in B&W said...

Dear Sheletha,

I am contacting you regarding a blog survey I am conducting. I am a Ph.D. candidate in Mass Communication at Penn State and my dissertation project consists of a survey that looks at women bloggers’ perceived motivations for and effects of their blogging.

I am sending the survey to a number of bloggers, and I would like to invite you to participate in it as well. Participation should take approximately 15 minutes of your time. I would appreciate it tremendously if you would be willing to take the survey. If you decide to do so, please follow the link below:

http://www.personal.psu.edu/cds205/blog/signin.htm

I would be very happy to share the findings of my study with you once it is completed!

If you have any questions or comments, please don’t hesitate to contact me!

Thank you in advance,

Carmen

Saadia said...

Wow! That's great, Sheletha!

Rich Fitzgerald said...

congrats to yo fam.