I live in a condo high rise that is 90% occupied by people over 75. Many of my conversations are pleasant with my neighbors, I appreciate their wisdom and quirkiness. Today was no different as I was on the elevator to come back to work moments ago.
Lady: Ohh honey your shoes are cute! (I told y'all I was distractingly flyy)
Me: Thanks!
Lady: I don't like buying shoes this time of year.
Me: Why not? Now is the best time! Fall is coming up and the summer styles are on sale.
Lady: Baby, I don't buy green bananas at the grocery store. At 81 years old I don't know if Ill be around next summer to buy the summer styles now. Tee Hee
Me: *Blink*
The elevator dings signaling the ground floor.
Me: uhhh, have a good day!
Lady: You too sweetie!
Excuse me, how do you respond to that??? I know tomorrow is not promised to anyone, but she just made death seem so close.
Tuesday, August 28, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

13 comments:
I wish there were a way to respond to that...
This weekend I went to DC for my grandmother's 80th bday. She said things like, "I realized that this may be the last time that I get to see so many of the people I love all in one place," and "If we have a 90th party for me you'll probably be wheeling me around wiping spittle from the corners of my mouth."
Talk about anti-climactic. Oh I should also note that she doesn't look or act 80.
If I'm dyin tomorrow, I'm goin' out to buy every pair of shoes I just [looked at] for the past year and then some!
You're right...how do you respond to that? Not very easily.
No response needed - old people get to say what they want.
You know I would've been laughing like "old lady....you'tr a trip". I think that comes from playing around with my grandmother though.
Seemed like she was making a joke, but I guess I had to be there to hear her tone. I hope it wasn't too awkward for you.
Oh and I know that this is off topic, but I just figured out that the girl who sings the song that I've had stuck in my head for the past 3 weeks is the same girl that you tried to put us (me) onto months ago.
"If I had My Way" - Chrisette Michele
That song is sooooo nice
@Rich- They can say what they wanna...but I was truely flabbergasted.
@ Nic- I think she was kidding (but nobody is promised tomorrow),and yes it was awkward. I was so happy to get off that elevator.
I told y'all about Chrissette...remmeber you heard it here first!!!
Ok why was this so damn funny to me. I have such a morbid sense of humor today!
Miss lady had a point though! All you can do is say "well enjoy your day today then!" and keep it moving!
I'm with Mega Rich. Old people get to say whatever they want. To add to that the older they get the less inhibited they are. They will say anything. Gotta Love Them...
Check out my Guest Spot
http://creoleindc.typepad.com/fergies_guest_room/
I would have told her don't wait for next summer, then. Go buy your shoes now & rock 'em while she can!
She has a point, though. I don't look at what she said as death is right around the corner...look at it as "live every day like it's your last"...words to live by!
I'm w/ Rich, Nic & a amen to Kiki. i, too would've laughed & maybe said, I guess u got a point! u responded as best u could. She sounded like a DOLL! I love old people who love where they are in life & aren't bemoaning the past - but then I love ALL people w/ that attitude. LOL!
That she did, but she seemed to be resigned to it and able to laugh about it. The lesson is not to take life too seriously, and to plan for tomorrow, but live for today.
Buying new shoes gives the old girl a reason to stick around. Its not a waste of money if she gets to wear them out.... just like buying an old person a five year diary! It becomes a challenge to fill in as many days as they can instead of just waiting around for God. Who wants a blank diary or unworn shoes.
Post a Comment